Casa Ybel Beach Resort on Sanibel Island
Planning a destination wedding comes with many considerations, like deciding where guests will stay and how they will be entertained (along with the hope that they will enjoy themselves, too!) Luckily, when you say “I do” throughout the islands, beaches and neighborhoods of Fort Myers, you’ll have all those things covered. What’s more, it will be a multi-day destination event that both you and your guests will remember fondly for years to come.
Extending A Wedding Celebration Into Three Days
A one-day wedding comes with plenty of work, but a three-day destination wedding won’t actually be much harder to plan. Transforming a one-day wedding starts by looking at the events you’d like to host. Typically, this includes:
- A welcome dinner — on the day the majority of your guests arrive, host an informal dinner or happy hour at a restaurant like Bayfront Bistro for everyone to meet each other. This gives everyone a chance to gather and connect
- A daytime activity — similar to the welcome dinner, this is a very informal chance for your group to connect again in an even more casual setting. Plan for this to take place either right before, during, or after lunch. A daytime activity can be anything from picnics to boat outings as a group
- A cocktail hour — Fort Myers and surrounding areas have many restaurants and al fresco dining options that will give you plenty of options for an informal cocktail hour with guests. Or, better yet, consider a pre-dinner sunset cruise. Then you can move your wedding party to the rehearsal dinner at a restaurant like The Veranda
- The wedding ceremony — Whether you’re hosting a morning, afternoon, or evening wedding, you’ll have plenty of amazing locations available for your ceremony
- A morning-after brunch — after a day of celebrations and libations, hosting a brunch before ending your wedding weekend vacation for your guests is the perfect way to spend extra time soaking in the memories from your wedding. Take the time to hear about the ceremony, food, and dance floor from your guests over waffles and mimosas at Old Captiva House
Inviting your guests to a three-day vacation will mean spreading out events but also giving them time to explore the islands, beaches, and neighborhoods of Fort Myers themselves.
Courtyard at the Twisted Vine Bistro in downtown Fort Myers
Entertaining Your Guests
Other than your main events spread out throughout the three-day celebration, your guests will have plenty of options to entertain themselves. The greater Fort Myers area has over 50 miles of white-sand beaches, natural islands, and unobstructed views of jaw-dropping sunsets. The gorgeous and naturally preserved environment is filled with captivating wildlife that your guests will be thrilled to see and interact with.
There are also plenty of activities for them to take advantage of easy access to the water. If they’re adventurous, they can kayak, standup paddleboard, jet ski, or parasail. If they prefer not to get wet, they can go island hopping, fishing, and try shell collecting on the beach. Or, they can spend time truly relaxing in a spa. There’s truly something for everyone in and around Fort Myers.
Bowditch Point Park on Fort Myers Beach
Where To Host a Three-Day Wedding
The events to host a three-day wedding weekend are as important as the locations themselves. Fort Myers’ islands, beaches and neighborhoods offer some amazing options for your main events.
Check out their beachfront locales like Sanibel Island for incredible seclusion, white-sand beaches, and plenty of space that you just can’t get at other destinations. There are also many romantic gardens around the area that will serve as a natural, dreamy backdrop to your wedding ceremony.
Fort Myers is home to renowned restaurants, historic buildings, and waterfront hotels like the Pink Shell Beach Resort and Tarpon Lodge. Exchange vows, dip your toes in the water, and then change into your reception outfits. Then spend the evening in an air-conditioned paradise. That air-conditioning is especially great while you’re hitting the dance floor.
Encourage your guests to take advantage of the location by setting up room blocks at gorgeous waterfront hotels in and around Fort Myers. These stunning resorts are a great place to start:
- South Seas Island Resort
- Diamondhead Beach Resort
- Sundial Beach Resort and Spa
- Marriott Sanibel Harbor Resort and Spa
Marriott Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
When hosting a destination wedding, it’s likely you won’t be meeting with your vendors face-to-face very often—if at all. Which makes your wedding mood board especially important. Use our guide to make sure yours is in tip-top shape! Then share it with your wedding team to keep you all on the same page.
With your three-day destination guide in hand, it’s time to start booking your incredible Fort Myers wedding! Get started on their visitor website that will walk you through everything you need to book an unforgettable destination wedding.